Thursday, January 10, 2013

I Believe...

The negativity that is spewed regarding the state of the public school system is getting to the point where I am nauseous any time someone begins talking about the state of our nation's education system.

Teachers are working long hours, well after their committed time; loving on children who have no one else; increasing the rigor of their teaching due to Common Core; and figuring out how to assess in an authentic way, but one that reflects how students will be tested.

There are so many hoops to jump through and over and around, that I thought for sure I would have legs that would be envied by everyone.  I feel as if I am doing P90X's Plyo workout.  *Trust me, I've done that workout, and it is HARD*

However, someone has forgotten to mention all of the good that is present in our schools.  After the tragic events in Newtown, CT, I vowed to become more cognizant of the good that happens in my classroom every single day.

And lo and behold, one of my favorite bloggers - Krissy over at Venspired had the same idea.  She began a project called See the Good.  Each day educators take a picture using the idea list she has provided that focuses on the GOOD that surrounds you.

This has been the best thing for my mind and my heart!  Each day, I find something else that just makes me smile...it may have been the impromptu rap that I did yesterday in response to a child who was off task.  The result was a 5 minute laugh break that had tears streaming down many faces.  Or, it may have been the child who "discovered" parallel circuits because he was "exploring."  Or, it is the peace and quiet that comes at 6:30 in the morning before my kiddos arrive, the completely cluttered space that is the classroom after a full day of learning.





I believe there is good happening that just hasn't been mentioned.  And, it may just be in your classroom.

http://venspired.com/?page_id=4087
Thank you, Krissy for the inspiration :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

I Don't Have the Answers...

It's taken me all weekend to begin to process what happened in Parkland, Florida.  I put it aside and compartmentalized it until I...