Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Why do you stay?

This is year 18 for me.  15 years of classrooms and 2 of coaching teachers.  Every May or June I was excited to leave for summer vacation, but July 1st always found me preparing for the next year...not because I had to, but because I wanted to do so.  I loved every single thing about getting a new classroom ready for a new group of families.

Inevitably, as the year progressed, there were days where I was 100% confident that I had chosen the right path.  Then there were days I left in tears questioning why I was a teacher in the first place.  If you are an educator, those days could happen in the same week, sometimes in the same 8 hours.  I have been successful, and I've been a failure. You know exactly how I felt.

I've seen programs and initiatives come and go and come around again.  I've watched districts change focus time after time after time.  I've watched the latest and greatest strategies, gurus, methods, and more be shared with educators.  I've watched recess time shrink, lunch time become silent, and the pile of paperwork on my desk grow to unattainable heights.  I've been a part of schools that had effective evaluation systems, schools that didn't have evaluation systems, and schools that "tweaked" evaluation to make it say what they wanted it to say.  I've witnessed the increase of testing and the decrease of authentic learning experiences (depending on where I've been over the last 18 years).  I've been in schools with curriculum, with suggestions, and nothing.  I've taught in schools where teachers were driven by the textbooks and schools where teachers were driven by the standards.

To say the least, I've seen a lot in my career.  But, I've always come back every single fall.

That isn't the case for some.  For some, all of the "stuff" gets to them and they choose to leave the profession, sometimes for good.

Tomorrow I have the opportunity to be a part of an important conversation in the state of South Carolina.  I'm joining a group of public school advocates, state superintendents, college professors, and others to talk about how can South Carolina attract quality teachers, but also, how can we retain them.  I'm excited to be a part of this conversation as we brainstorm solutions to a growing teacher shortage problem.  It's not unique to my state.  If you look around the country, teachers are leaving the field at an alarming pace.  If a teacher makes it past year 5, the likelihood of staying for the long haul is good.  But, somewhere in that 3-5 year mark, teachers are fleeing.

It got me thinking about my own path...why do I stay when the job becomes impossible.

I thought it was a simple answer...but it isn't, and honestly, I can't craft it into words that will make sense to anyone.  But, when I think about leaving, it physically hurts.  I can't imagine not being a teacher.  It is so much a part of who I am.  I don't do it for the pay, or the perks.  I don't do it for the recognition or the accolades.

But there is a multitude of faces over my 18 years that flash in my memory.  Faces of students over the years...the Kaeli's, Kacey's, Jesse's, and Christian's of that first year (there are so many more), the Hunter's, Caleb's, and Trevor's, the Tanner's, Tony's, Skye's, and Peyton's, the Stefani's, Will's, and Avery's, the Nathan's, Corey's, and Chloe's, the Elliott's, Emily's, Maceon's, Andy's, Nate's, Mary Grace's, Zach's, and Charlie's....(I know I forgot a ton).  

I plan to spend the next few weeks really reflecting on why I do stay...something that I can share with others, that may inspire them to join the education world or inspire them to stay.

But, I really want to know why you stay...what is it that keeps you in the classroom year after year.  I'll be sharing them with a real audience of people who genuinely want  to know why teachers remain.  I'll keep you posted on what becomes of this conversation...I can't wait to see for myself!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

I Don't Have the Answers...

It's taken me all weekend to begin to process what happened in Parkland, Florida.  I put it aside and compartmentalized it until I...