Wednesday, January 3, 2018

One Word 2018

I gave up on making resolutions years ago.  Partly because I quit them by the end of January and partly because I was making the same ones year after year with the same result.  I think it was 5 years ago or so that I ran across a blog post about choosing one word to focus on for the year.  That idea seemed less daunting to me and decided to embrace that change. 

Over the years I've chosen words like Intentional, Health, and Balance.  I've placed a reminder somewhere - a planner, a chalkboard, an email signature - that kept  it in front of me consistently.  I like the idea of focusing.  Having a resolution list always seemed to send the message that I had done the previous year incorrectly.  Some may think I have, but for me, I felt like resolutions were setting me up for failure.  So, the one word came to be.

This year, I struggled with a word.  If truth were told, I probably could have used Intentional again.  I was more intentional in 2017, but I could have been more.  I could have been more intentional in the way I spent my down time at home.  Instead of getting sucked into the hole that is Facebook, I could have been more intentional in cleaning my home, or cooking supper, or even in my relationship with my husband, family, and friends.  But, that word did not speak to me for 2018.

This year, my word is MOVE.

This covers all areas of my life from my profession to my health. 

I want to MOVE more in my pursuit of being physically healthy.  That means that during the day, I will need to make sure I'm getting away from my desk to walk the halls.  I need to move my body to build strength.  Yes, I'll be signing up for a group fitness class to help me do that.

I want to MOVE professionally.  This is my 18th year in education.  It's been a beautiful journey.  There have been bumps, valleys, and mountains.  Some of those valleys were long and  hurtful.  But, I wouldn't trade them for the world.  They taught me about myself and about others.  I need to MOVE outward in my profession from my small world of influence to a greater one.  I need to claim new territory.  I aspire to MOVE into administration.  This was a long time coming and something I fought against for years - and I'm paying the price for that now - but I have something to offer students and teachers.  That means moving out of my comfort zone into the uncomfortable, but that is where the magic happens.

I want to MOVE in my business.  My side gig is producing, but I want to move forward each day by consistently completing activities that will move the needle forward. 

But, lastly, I want to MOVE others to greatness.  One of my favorite things is to watch  students succeed and to celebrate each milestone whether it is small or large.  I want the same thing for teachers, business partners, family members, and friends.  I want to help  them find their path to success and dreams.  I want to move them to reach further and achieve more.

So, this year, my plan is to MOVE.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

I Don't Have the Answers...

It's taken me all weekend to begin to process what happened in Parkland, Florida.  I put it aside and compartmentalized it until I...