Tuesday, January 9, 2018

The Greatest Showman's Greatest Lessons

Over the last couple of weeks, we have had extreme winter weather - well, extreme for South Carolina. Temps in the single digits in the morning and not rising too far above freezing for the remainder of the day.  All I have wanted to do is eat cinnamon rolls and nap.  Not a good combination.

Sunday, I decided it was high time that I get out of the house and do something - even if it wasn't necessarily productive.  For the last week, I've heard lots of friends talking about how great "The Greatest Showman" is.  Hugh Jackman devoted 7 years of preparation and his earnings from the Wolverine movies to commit to this project.  That alone told me that it must be worth it.  I've always been a fan of Hugh.  I knew that it was not something Cheney would go and see - he's not a fan of musicals - but, that it also needed to be seen in a theater to get the full experience. In my winter hibernation, I had see clips and videos of powerful songs that spoke to me, even without the costuming and sets.  I knew it was something that I had to see soon.

So, I got out of my flannel pajamas and made myself public worthy for a movie.  

From the opening notes, I was hooked.  I watched the movie with chill bumps on my arms from the amazing talent that was displayed.  It was a movie that made me want to jump up and clap and sing.  The message that was portrayed through the elaborate costumes, set designs, and more made it captivating.  As I left the theater, I couldn't help but to reflect on some of the lessons that stood out among the story.  



1.  Leaders have a vision or dream that is birthed from deep within them.  PT Barnum knew long before the circus was successful that he was destined for greatness and that he wanted to do something big.  

2.  Leaders take responsibility for their actions whether there are good or bad consequences.  When PT Barnum made Claire laugh during her finishing lessons, he owned that and accepted the consequences of his actions.  He did the same thing later in the movie (no spoilers here).

3.  Leaders surround themselves with likeminded people.  PT had a spouse who supported him 100%.  He looked for partners who were also risk takers and dreamers.  

4.  Leaders have a responsibility to empower those around them.  When PT gathered his crew of acts, he empowered them and brought them out of the shadows. He saw something in them and spoke to it.

5.  Leaders make no apologies for chasing their dreams. Unapologetically, PT pursued his dream, despite what the critics said or the setbacks that he endured.



This movie is probably in my top 5 now.  I walked away with so much more than entertainment.  Each song spoke to dream chasing, being me, and pursuing greatness no matter what others say.  

If you haven't, go see it!  It is well worth the price.  I'll just be over here downloading the soundtrack!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

I Don't Have the Answers...

It's taken me all weekend to begin to process what happened in Parkland, Florida.  I put it aside and compartmentalized it until I...