Saturday, July 13, 2013

An Award....

I think I actually received this award a few years back, but I never took the time to do everything I needed to do.  So, when Elementary Endeavors included me on the list, I thought I might just do a post this time since I needed new material any way.  So, thank you Elementary Endeavors.   In order to accept, I must do the following:

To accept this award, I must:

1. Link back to the blog(s) that nominated me
2. Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers
3. Answer the questions posted by my nominator
4. Create 11 questions for my nominees
5. Share 11 random facts about yourself
6. Contact my nominees and let them know I nominated them


Unfortunately, I'm going to skip number 2 - All of the blogs I follow have over 200 followers.  As I discover more blogs this summer, I'll give the award to the new ones I find. 

1. When did you know that you wanted to become a teacher?
 
This is a toughy for me.  I started out as a nursing major.  While I was waiting to get into nursing school, I had to take classes to remain full time, so I began picking up education classes.  I can't tell you the exact moment that the clouds parted and I knew that I wanted to become a teacher.  However, the first time a student accidentally called me "Mom," I knew that I had made the right decision.
 
 
2. What's the funniest thing a kiddo has ever said to you? 
 
To narrow it down to one thing is so difficult.  After 13 years of teaching, I can't remember one year to the next.  However, I do remember doing a writing lesson with my 5th graders a few years ago around Christmas time.  We were working with fluency and were using dice to determine the amount of words in a sentence. If we rolled a 6, we had to create a sentence with 6 words.  Somehow, my mind went faster than pencil and in the midst of writing a story about Santa coming down the chimney, my pencil wrote, "Santa coming down my pants."  There was silence in the room and our principal's son said, "Mrs. Looper, I don't think you meant write that."  More silence, then the room busted out in laughter.
 
3. What is your favorite "teacher" item?
 
My camera/iPhone/iPad is my all-time favorite tool in the classroom.  I love documenting the learning that is happening.  The iPad has definitely made it easier because I can capture video as well.
 
4. Do you have a classroom theme? If so, what is it?
 
No theme, just cheerful colors and things that make my students comfortable.
 
5. What are three things you always must have in your teacher bag?
 
Colored "flair" pens, iPad, and gradebook.
 
6. Speaking of teacher bags, do you have a favorite that you'd recommend?
 
I used a 31 bag for a long time, but it finally bit the dust this year.  I need a new one.
 
7. What is your least favorite subject to teach?
 
Least favorite subject has to be Science.  It's not that I hate teaching it, but in comparison to all the others it isn't one of my passions.  But, I do love to see my kids explore and make discoveries in our inquiry lessons.
 
8. What is your best organizational tip for teachers?
 
Send papers home on a Wednesday so you have an entire weekend to get things graded if needed.  Don't get stuck in a cycle of saving papers to grade.  Use your time wisely to do so.
 
9. Do you have a class mascot or class pet?
 
No class pet, but we have had a yellow lab before.  I loved having my dog in my classroom.
 
 
10. What is your favorite memory from the last school year?
 
They are ALL favorites because it was my last year in the classroom.  I loved every moment with all of my kids!
 
11. What are you most looking forward to about the upcoming school year?
 
A new position at a new school in a new capacity!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

I Don't Have the Answers...

It's taken me all weekend to begin to process what happened in Parkland, Florida.  I put it aside and compartmentalized it until I...