Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Christmas Questionnaire..


Today I'm linking up with Michelle and spilling the dirt on what I think about Christmas. 

Hot Chocolate or Eggnog...
Neither!  I'm not a big hot chocolate fan and definitely not an eggnog girl.  The texture of eggnog and the whole idea of drinking eggs just freaks me out a bit.  Give me coffee any time of the year and I'm a HAPPY girl.  During Christmas, I'll drink an entire pot by myself because I have the leisure time to sit on my couch and enjoy it.

Does Santa wrap gifts or leave them unwrapped under the tree...
Growing up, our traditions began by having designated places for a pile of gifts that were unwrapped.  As we got older - ornery teenagers- my mom started wrapping the gifts that were from Santa in a special gift wrap.  Now, I don't have kids, so I don't have that option, but I wrap everything to put under the tree - even empty boxes.

Colored lights or white...
I'm a colored light girl.  I love the festiveness of it all.  If I could find vintage bulbs, you know the old painted ones, I'd cover a tree in them.  My tree is covered in little colored lights from tip to bottom.  I still haven't mastered the stringing of the lights.  I get frustrated and end up giving up with the string every branch approach.

When do you decorate....
This year, it was the day after Thanksgiving.  We went to a tree farm and cut down a beautiful Leyland Cypress and decorated that night.  Some years, depending on whether we travel or not, the date varies.  Last year we celebrated Christmas at the beach and decorated in our house. 

Real or fake...
Real if possible - but sometimes because we were traveling or lacked the extra money for a tree, we used one our grandparents' artificial trees. My house smells amazing with a real tree and I love the whole adventure of putting it in the stand, holding your breath to see if it will fall, etc.

What type of topper tops your tree...
This year we don't have anything.  I had great intentions, but I'm looking for a specific topper that is rustic, but vintage, no angel.  It's harder than I thought.  We have had a golf club driver cover one year.  I'm planning on adding a big burlap bow soon.

Favorite Christmas memory or tradition...
Growing up it was opening a gift on Christmas Eve.  We were allowed to only open one and it was late at night after visiting grandparents or going to church.  Since Cheney and I have been married, it's stockings.  We designate a certain amount and buy for each other, so each piece is a huge surprise.

Favorite gift as a child...
Not sure if it was my favorite, but my mom made me a fake cabbage patch doll when she couldn't find one in the stores.  She sacrificed her sleep and hung out in the laundry room long after I went to bed to make something special to me.  For the record, it didn't look anything like a cabbage patch, but it was stitched with love.

Do you prefer giving or receiving...
Not going to lie, I love getting a good gift.  But, I enjoy buying things for others that are not expected.  I love the hunt for the special gift.

What is your favorite Christmas song?
 Oh Holy Night and It Came Upon a Midnight Clear

Candy Canes...yuck or yum?
Yuck, just not a big peppermint fan.

Online or stores?
Combination of both

Photo Cards, Letter, or Store bought?
Store bought this year - first time in a long time we've sent out cards.  Used to make our own. 

1 comment:

  1. Stopping by from the linky party! I just got linked up today. We put up several trees, and on our big tree, I have a rustic metal star! I love it! :)

    Merry Christmas to you and your family!

    Come by my blog for the party when you get a chance!
    Many Blessings,
    Rebecca

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by for a visit!

I Don't Have the Answers...

It's taken me all weekend to begin to process what happened in Parkland, Florida.  I put it aside and compartmentalized it until I...